Preparing Your Home For Sale
There are many things beyond our control that can affect the sale of your home – market fluctuations, new government policies, changes in lending criteria, just to name a few. But as a homeowner, here are some things that you can do to help sell your home for top dollar:
- Remove clutter – Put things in storage, and donate or throw away items you no longer need. This opens up space in the home, and will make your final move out of the home easier too!
- Clean your home, inside and out – Every potential buyer likes to walk through a sparking clean home, especially in the kitchen and bathrooms. But don’t forget the outdoor space – mow the lawn, trim down bushes and shrubs, and clean the patio and outdoor furniture. Try to keep the place as clean as possible throughout the selling process – you never know when someone will want to view the home!
- Update and Refresh – Consider a new coat of paint, patch up holes in the walls, ensure doors and windows open with ease, fix leaky faucets, fix or update broken handles or door knobs, and get rid of odours.
- Let there be light – A bright home is seen as more spacious and welcoming. Ensure all light bulbs are working, windows are clean, and outdoor shrubs are trimmed down so they aren’t covering any windows.
- Lock up valuables and sentimental items – Although potential buyers touring your home during a private showing should be guided and supervised by your REALTOR® (at least that is my practice), it may get difficult to supervise everyone if they arrive in a large group. Furthermore, if you and your REALTOR® have included open houses in your marketing plan, this tip becomes an essential part of preparing your home to be put on the market for sale.
If you are considering selling your home, please contact me, and allow me to professionally guide you through the process.
What is My Home Worth?
If you are thinking of selling your home, let me help you get started by providing you with a free market evaluation. Simply fill in the form below, and I will be in contact with more information.